Factors Causing Delay In Construction Projects
Mart 6, 2015 Yorum bırakın
The cause of delay in construction stage arises from countless factors. The problem cannot be solved thoroughly, if these factors are not identified and restricted or eliminated. However, the restriction of time and finance doesn’t allow project manager to solve all influencing factors, so it is necessary to identify the critical factors.
This study developed the framework which is very practical to find out the critical factors causing the serious delay problems in construction building stage. The impact level of these factors on construction duration can be different from this project to another project, but the method to evaluate them is similar. So this approach can be applied to almost construction building.
Case study is analyzed to illustrate the systematic method to investigate and identify the delay problems and their causes in SECC, a project concerned with international contractors, consultant.
The investigation result of delay problems in SECC showed that there were many factors leading to the delay of the SECC. The severities of these elements are arranged in order of priority. Below is the table of top critical factors:
Basically, the results of the investigation showed that most fundamental source of the top critical factors was derived from the following basic elements:
– The Government’s legal regulation in importing has been inefficient and not clear.
– PM in SECC has shortcomings and weaknesses especially in risk evaluation or project planning and human management.
– Contractor’s construction organization is not really efficient and effective.
– The shortage of engineers and workers having experience and highly professional, is contractors’ inextricable questions, especially the contractors for the project which has scale and high technology specification such as SECC.
– Legal regulation in construction industry is not really strict, so the collusion among parties likely to be existent, it makes contractor collection process unfair. So some contractors having financial competence were chosen.
– Collaboration between investors and designers in the design phase plays an important role in reducing the design changes during construction.